Friday, December 15, 2017

Review: Spartan Heart (Mythos Academy: Colorado #1) by Jennifer Estep

Book Blurb:

New school year, same old problems . . .

At Mythos Academy, everyone knows exactly who I am: Rory Forseti, Spartan girl and the daughter of Reapers.

Even though I fought alongside my cousin Gwen Frost to save the mythological world from Loki and his evil Reapers of Chaos, I’m still the most hated girl at the academy because of all the horrible things my parents did. I had hoped that this school year would be different, but the other kids just won’t let me forget about my parents.

But something strange is going on at the Colorado Academy. First, I run into a Viking guy who dislikes me more than most. Then I notice some odd artifacts in the Library of Antiquities. And worst of all, I start hearing rumors about a new group of Reapers who can summon mythological monsters.

I might be the most hated girl at Mythos Academy, but I’m also the only one who can save it . . .

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Heart-Wrenching, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen-

Rory has had a really hard year, be it dealing with the death of her parents, the fact they were part of an evil society, or the hate she receives from all her classmates. But Rory refuses to give in to the hurtful things people say and do, instead she is willing to fight for justice. When she inadvertently finds herself in the library after hours and witnesses an artifact theft, Rory ends up fighting for her life. Is the evil gone like everyone thought? Or is this a new type of evil that Rory now must face?

This was such a good story, equal parts character development and plot driven, striking the perfect balance for me to get swept up in. ​Spartan Heart is the first in a spinoff series, which made me a little nervous since I hadn’t read the original series yet. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did not feel like I missed out on anything, there was enough back story to fill me in but for the most part this was a completely new story to jump right into.

Rory was hands down a great character. She has experienced more heartbreak and betrayal than any 17 year old girl should encounter, yet still she stayed true to herself and her beliefs. Personally, If everyone was accusing me of being evil I would give them a reason to think I was evil…which makes what Rory did even more impressive. She would be the perfect role model for any girl- strong, courageous, humble, loyal, honest, and determined. I also really liked how Rory was the main character, but the relationship dynamics between her and her new "team" were great- be it the open hostility with Viking Ian, tentative friendship with Zoe and Mateo, the sisterly love of Aunt Rachel, or the unusual partnership with the anxious Babs. Besides the awesome, dangerous fight scenes where Rory fought like a warrior, the character interactions were the best.

I found the book to be fast paced and incredibly engaging; I sat down to read and flew through the pages in one sitting. Spartan Heart is just the beginning of Rory's story and I look forward to more action and mystery to come. I had been wanting to read the Mythos Academy series for a while now but just didn’t have time, now I am really excited to get my hands on that series and learn more about Gwen and her talking Sword and the Loki battle. I have zero complaints about this book and can't wait to read more worlds created by Jennifer, be it her adult or teen books.

I received this title for reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment