Monday, January 9, 2017

Review: The Fireproof Girl (Sophie Shields #1) by Loretta Lost

Book Blurb:

Abandoned at birth, Sophie Shields grew up in abusive foster homes, escaping into books and computers for solace. When the constant danger became too much to bear, she ran away, thinking she could survive on her hacking skills alone.

That was until she met Cole Hunter. He became the only person she could trust: her family, her friend, her partner-in-crime. Her everything. After struggling through college and starting their lives together, she believed that nothing could ever tear them apart.

Until it did.

And she’ll do everything in her power to fix what is broken. If it isn’t too late…

---------

When Cole was nine years old, he watched his whole family burn to death in a house fire. Fueled by years of obsession, he started one of the world’s leading architectural firms, with a mission to design homes resistant to fire, earthquakes, floods, and every threat known to man.

Sophie was his secret weapon. She was his purpose. Since they were teenagers, he was determined to build a better life for her, so she could finally be safe, and they could be together.

But disaster has always followed Cole around, ripping away everything he loves. This time, if he isn’t careful…

His enemies might just take him down.

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense--

Sophie has been on her own, discovering how hard the world was, until she met her new foster brother Cole at age 14. Cole made it his mission to protect Sophie from any more harm, be it from others or him. The two of them against the world, until it became only one when Sophie lost her brother. What happens next is anyone’s guess. medication usage.

The book made me realize that I needed to add a new category to my bookshelf entitled Heart Wrenching. I had to take a break from reading the book right when Sophie got back to California (not to mention the flashbacks from Cole's point of view), so I put the book down for a day to cope with the grief I was experiencing (right along with Sophie- her emotions were so real and tangible I was sucked in). There were parts that I found myself cringing away from the book as if to distance myself form the harsh scenarios within the pages.

The story was compelling, interesting, disturbing, intense and depressing and I loved it. I understand that this is not for everyone due to the content of the book with things such as physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological trauma, and unexpected mental disorder (which I should have expected, but never saw coming).

The plot kept me on my toes with a twist around each corner, a unique way to narrate with past and present views woven together, and a surprisingly deep and untouchable love thrown in. I don't want to give anything away (the synopsis really does not even cover what the story was about and I will not spoil it) but I really enjoyed this story and I need the rest of the books in the series STAT. The story left me wanting more (if I can survive the emotional storm I know is coming). This was my first book by this author but it won't be my last.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment