Sunday, August 21, 2016

Review: Royal Enchantment (Skeleton Key) by Lia Davis

Book Blurb:

Skeleton Key Book Series

One Skeleton Key. Endless Adventures.

https://skeletonkeybookseries.com

Ava Green has made a name for herself in the real estate world by reconditioning old, historical homes with her partner and friend Jeff. But her newest project, a three-story Victorian in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, promises to be her biggest moneymaker yet. And one she’s undertaking on her own. During her first walk-through of the house, however, she discovers a locked door, and a skeleton key that seems to appear out of nowhere. Unlocking the door, she is transported to a mystical world of fae and mythickal creatures and meets the King of the Morna. The sovereign of the Dark Elves.

King Finn Sylcan has searched for the one who can bring the magick back to his world, Edra, for eons. An old prophecy told of a female of both Dark and Light elven descent, a hybrid both Calim and Morna. It is said she is the only one who can repair the damage the war between the Dark and Light kingdoms caused. But after searching for so long, Finn never dreamed that she’d just show up outside his palace walls. Or that she’d be his mate.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Romance, Royal-Court--

Ava made the choice to buy the old house despite her business partner's unhappiness. When she finds a key and the mysterious door inside the old house, Ava never expected to enter a different world. When the Dark Faerie King Finn finds the stranger in the woods, he instantly knew how important she is, to him and to his world. Can Finn convince Ava of the truth before it is too late?

I liked this story, I just really wished that there was more. I could have easily read a full length novel set in this world with these characters, and I really feel like there is the potential for even a series with all different characters. I was impressed with the backbone of this novella, it was surprisingly detailed in the world building aspect. I think that the characters were not incredibly well detailed and the plot had a few holes or was just way to rushed/abrupt (the ending!). My usual complaint with novellas holds true, that either the plot or the characters are impacted by the length and I saw that here (not in the way that I was not engaged, but in the respect that I felt left hanging, like I was missing something). The book does have an insta-love thing going on, which I am not a fan of, but I can overlook it for the most part because of the whole fate/bonded aspect.

That being said, I feel like the author was able to create such an engaging world in so few pages (50ish as per my eReader). I would love to read more by this author. This was my first taste of this author's writing style and I am definitely a fan. I am highly entertained by this Skeleton Key series and the whole concept of multiple authors writing snippets that somehow interconnect. This is my second in the series so far and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment